Six-county area has 14 newly designated Century Farms
WORTHINGTON — More than 130 farms across Minnesota are being recognized by the Minnesota State Fair and Minnesota Farm Bureau this year for having 100 years or more of continuous family ownership. Of those, 14 are located in The Globe’s coverage area.
These newly designated Century Farms each receive a commemorative sign, as well as a certificate signed by Minnesota State Fair and Minnesota Farm Bureau presidents and Gov. Mark Dayton.
Each Century Farm must be at least 50 acres in size, and the families must currently be involved in farming.
In addition to those featured in this publication, the following families are also being recognized for 100 or more years of continuous family farm ownership:
- In Nobles County, the Williams Family Farm of rural Adrian is now owned by the fourth generation, as Thomas L. Williams marks 50 years of ownership of 480 acres originally purchased by his great-grandfather, William Williams, in 1865. William owned the land for 23 years before it went to his son, Thomas M. Williams, a 47-year owner of the parcels in Grand Prairie Township Section 6 and Westside Township Section 32. Renters have farmed both parcels since 1900, and the Williams family has resided in California since 1905. Still, they have maintained ownership, with the land transferring from Thomas M., to his son, Thomas R., and eventually to Thomas L. Williams over a span of 153 years.
- Dan Kolander is the present owner of the Kolander Family Farm in Section 15, Seward Township, rural Fulda. Originally purchased by John and Katie Breit in 1916, the land went to their daughter and son-in-law, Meta and Reinhold Kolander, in 1920. Third-generation owners were Donald and Patricia Kolander, with the land placed in a trust 18 years ago. The homestead was sold last fall, with 126 acres still owned by the family.
- In Murray County, JoAnn Schultz is the present owner of a farm originally purchased by her father-in-law, Charles Schultz, in 1918, in Skandia Township near Balaton. The farm consists of 257.24 acres.
- Steven Hamilton is the third-generation owner of the Kuehl Family Century Farm in Section 24, Des Moines River Township, Murray County. The rural Lamberton farm was originally settled by his grandfather, Ernest Kuehl, in 1918. The land eventually transferred to son L. Arthur and then Arthur’s wife, Erma, before Steven became the owner 13 years ago. The farm is comprised of 72.84 acres.
- Wendell Fredin is the third-generation owner of the Fredin Family Farm in the northeast quarter of Section 21, Selma Township, Cottonwood County. The rural Comfrey farm was originally settled by his grandfather, Louis Fredin, in 1916. After two years, the land went to his son, Milton Fredin. Wendell has been the owner of the 380-acre farm for 47 years.